We’re always looking for excellent people to join Ruby Rock.
The Roller Operator is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of Breakdown Rollers, Rubber Tire Rollers and Finish Rollers. The Asphalt Roller Operator distributes, breaks down, compresses and gives a finished surface to cooling asphalt. The first stage breaks down the asphalt mix with a breakdown roller. The second stage compresses it with a rubber tire roller, and the finish roller gives the final finish. Asphalt Roller Operators may also be required to operate Steel Drum and Pad Foot Rollers to compact and seal earth fills, sub grades, and flexible base.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as a Roller Operator; and
- Minimum of a valid Class 5 Drivers License with a clean abstract; and
- Completion of the CSTS course required; and
- Current First Aid preferred; and
- Demonstrated ability to use equipment safely, correctly and effectively.
- Practice and encourage safe work behaviours.
- Ability to understand oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read, write, speak, and understand English.
- Ability to analyze and problem solve with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt to a flexible work schedule when required.
- Ability to multi-task and meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public, supervisors and coworkers.
- Ability to work cooperatively with the management team and support other departments.
- Must adhere to processes and policies in support of organizational goals, legal duties and legislative requirements.
- Complete duties in accordance with the OHSA and company health and safety regulations, policy and procedures.
- Perform pre/post checks on equipment, minor repairs, cleaning and preventative maintenance such as lubrication and filling tanks.
- Operate two-way radios and other communication equipment.
- Comfortable operating computer controlled equipment.
- Responsible for placement of HMA to design specifications and tolerances
- Operate Paving roller for breakdown, intermediate, and finish rolling
- Establish rolling patterns through communication with paving foreman and quality control personnel to meet design compaction and smoothness requirements
- Safely operate roller in successive overlapping passes over surfaces to be compacted, rolling subgrade and asphalt to desired compaction and smoothness
- Determine speed and direction of machine, based on knowledge of compressibility of material under changing temperatures, so that ridges do not form by excessive pressure
- Push hand roller and pound surfaces using hand tamp, or guide portable power roller over areas not accessible to road roller
- Operate self-propelled steel-wheeled, rubber-tired, vibrator, segmented, or other type of roller to compact earth, subgrade, sub-base and asphalt surfaces
- Operate the Breakdown roller to massage hot mix asphalt into place
- Using the Rubber Tire Roller, compress hot mix asphalt to desired compaction
- Operate the Finish Roller in successive overlapping passes to apply final finish, and remove imperfections with a finish roller
- Operate Pad Foot Roller, using vibrate when necessary, until ground surface is hard
- Operate Smooth Drum Roller, to seal subgrade and base surfaces
- Operate other heavy equipment and other construction related duties as required
- Other duties as assigned.
Rate of Pay: $30 – $35
Location: Central Alberta Area
- Overtime pay
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
It is the policy of Ruby Rock Asphalt Works to be an equal opportunity employer and to hire individuals solely on the basis of their qualification and ability to do the job to be filled. At Ruby Rock Asphalt Works, we work hard to ensure that our employees have the environment, tools and training they need to do their work safely and effectively. We work to build a culture across all of our operations that values diversity, is fair and inclusive, and provides opportunity for career fulfillment.
Fax: (403) 945-2680